Who doesn’t love to be at the seaside? No one I know, and me personally, I am obsessed with the English seaside. So when I was planning my new baby’s nursery in London, it had to be a nautical theme. It even got featured in Style at Home magazine. In this post, I’ll show you how I created the themed room.
When my baby became a toddler, I carried the theme over to his new room, updated with a slight Hawaiian edge. And luckily he has actually inherited his mummy’s love for the seaside – phew.
With a lot of shopping around, I found the perfect accessories for the seaside theme. These are the exact products I found:
– 4 Drawer Stripe Wooden Tower Unit (24.5cm X 29cm X 95cm) – Matalan – £35.00
– Nautical Spots & Stripes Red, White & Blue Bunting 2.35m – ebay – £14.95
– Beach sign – Dunelm – £1.49
– Boat hooks – Dunelm
– Skojig Lamp – Ikea – £14.99
– Star Toddler Duvet Set – Tesco – £10
The focal point of the room is the Seaside Teatowel, which I got for only £1 from Primark in 2012. Unfortunately you can’t buy this anymore, so I have put together my top choice of seaside teatowels that you can buy today:
1) Perfect Day Teatowel – Gone Crabbing (www.gonecrabbing.co.uk) – £7.50
2) White Houses Teatowel – Ben de Lisi by Debenhams – £7
3) Seaside Teatowel – The Calm Gallery (www.thecalmgallery.com) – £9
4) Fish and Chips Teatowel – Seasalt Cornwall (www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk) – £10
5) Bird Print Teatowel – George Home by Asda – £2
6) Retro Treats Tea Towels (Set of 2) – Argos online – £7.99
Once you’ve found all the accessories you want, the next important part is fixing them to wall symetrically, so you have the bunting, teatowel and hooks mirroring the bed. I used a hammer and small nails for this.
It is also good to have a white wooden bed frame – it just looks better with this theme. I found a matching white wooden bed guard from Toys R Us for £30. Although more expensive than the fabric bed guards, it does look better – so worth it. Lastly of course, the duvet cover HAS to be nautical (remember to only use a duvet if your baby is over 12 months old).
I hope this has inspired you to bring the seaside to your home. If you have created a seaside-themed room at home, please do share – I would love to see your creations.