Remember that post I wrote about what I packed in my hospital bag and it’s seemed like I had packed EVERYTHING?! Well here’s what I actually used when I was at the hospital. I was there from 7.15pm Monday evening to 6.30pm Tuesday evening, so nearly 24 hours:
– All the water!
– A sip of Ribena
Things I took with me on the day:
– Lavender scented flannel
– Mini Hot Water bottle
Things out of my control:
There were no plug points in the room, so I had no music!
My husband downloaded the Heart FM app on his phone, thank god.
If you want music, take a battery operated radio or put music on your phone just in case.
Just after the birth:
– Shower gel
– Nursing Sleep Bra
– Black pants
– Maternity Pad
– Body lotion
– A nutrigrain bar
– Babygro, vest and 1 nappy for baby’s first outfit
– Phone for photos
AFTER BIRTH BAG:
In the postnatal room, this is what I used:
– 3 blankets
– 4 nappies
– Simple wipes ( but I would recommend Water Wipes instead)
– Vaseline (for baby’s bottom after being wiped)
– A second babygro and vest and she was sick and the umbilical cord was seeping
– 2 muslin clothes
– 5 Nutrigrain bars ( I was hungry between meals!)
– 2 Ribena cartons
– Phone charger
– Maternity Pads
– Going home outfit, make-up and hairbrush – I stupidly though I would fit into non-maternity clothes straightaway – wrong! The skirt I brought with me was so tight, even though it was apparently size 16. Luckily I had my maternity leggings with me. Top tip – bring maternity clothes for your going home outfit!
I didn’t used nursing pads as I wasn’t leaking milk yet – it’s just colostrum for the first 2 days. I did use Lanisoh but probably didn’t need to yet.
I wish I had brought paracetamol with me, as it is so painful when your uterus is shrinking, and you feel the pain each time you breastfeed. The midwives take ages bringing the paracetamol, so I wish I had just brought a pack with me.
Hope that helps anyone who is packing their hospital bag for labour and birth soon 🙂