This post has actually been inspired by a reader’s comment on my Giraffe post from last week (thanks Erin!). She asked for recommendations on places to eat out near the Slough/Windsor area that has something for the kids or space for them to roam around.
Having lived in Slough for 4 years, we have a few kid-friendly places to eat that we go to, and I also have some recommendations from fellow local bloggers.
1)Activus Soft Play inside the Queensmere Observatory shopping centre in Slough. Okay, it’s not top-notch food and I certainly can’t recommend the kids meals. BUT you can’t go wrong with a bowl of chips and their frozen slushies are AMAZING! You can eat here while the kids go wild in the soft play, and they sometimes do special dinner menus for Valentines Day etc.
2) The Jelly Lounge in Windsor is the posher version of Activus. I personally haven’t eaten the food here (I’ve done a coffee break), but they do have proper menus for lunch/dinner, the dining area is at the front for this. Or you can have coffee and snacks and sit at the soft play area. So this is another option for the kids to play in the soft play while you eat.
3) The Crooked Billet in Iver is that pub on the corner of the big roundabout near Langley Park. There have a huge outdoor area with actual playground equipment. This is great for sunny days when you want to eat outside. It’s standard pub food, as it’s now part of the Hungry House chain.
4) On the first floor of Daniels department store in Windsor, there is a cafe called Le Suquet with a small play area (pictured above). I have been here sooooo many times with Tyler, he loved it when he was age 2 and he still loves it at 6-years-old. You can have a nice lunch here, they do sandwiches or there are some hot food options too. If I am meeting friends in Windsor, this is my ‘go to’ place to eat.
5) When we first moved to the area, the Costa on The Green in Datchet had a garden with kids play equipment. I hope it’s still there. It was so different from the usual Costa, this actually felt like you were in a private back garden! I like having a latte and cake, but these places always do sandwiches and pasta if you’re after lunch.
6) I have just discovered Cafe San Remo in Black Park. The cafe is in such a beautiful location. They do hot food, my kids have had chicken nuggets and chips, and afterwards they could play in the outdoor playground next to the cafe. I wrote about a kid-friendly walking route here.
7) Jacqui from ‘Mummy’s Little Monkey’ recommends Giggling Squid, who have branches in Marlow and Beaconsfield. There isn’t a kids play area, but they are really welcoming to children so you will be able to relax there and eat delicious thai food. Read her review here.
8) Emma from Happy Family Hub recommends the New Leathern Bottle pub in Bracknell. She says it’s superb for kiddies. There’s a play area outside, but also a soft play marquee that you can book a table in which also has an outdoor play area with a bouncy castle in the warmer months.
9) Just today I saw on @littleanklebitersberks Instagram feed that she recommends Dorney Court Kitchen Cafe in Dorney (near Burnham). She wrote that they have a great restaurant serving yummy hot and cold food, cakes, snacks and drinks. There’s an outdoor play space for children and pretty grounds to explore. See photos here.
10) I haven’t eaten here yet, but Steak Out on Slough High Street have put in a brand new kids soft play area. So you can have a posh burger and chips while the kids play. I walked past it today and you can see the soft play from the windows, it does look good.
Do you have any recommendations on kid-friendly places to eat in Berkshire/Bucks/West London? Do let us know in the comments.