Today I’ll show you how I knitted a bunny egg cosy in 5 easy steps (easy if you can knit, of course). It is all done in garter stitch. I knitted these for Easter, but I like bunnies all year round so it doesn’t matter what time of year it is.
1. Cast on 30 stitches and knit in garter stitch until it measures 8cm. This is the bunny’s head (the egg cosy bit).
2. Now for the ears. Knit 2 together so you decrease one stitch and then knit 14 stitches. The remaining 15 stitches you move on to a stitch holder as you will come back to them later. (I don’t have a stitch holder so I threaded some wool through them instead). Then knit the 14 stitches till in measures 7cm – this is Ear 1. Thread the wool through the 14 stitches and pull through.
2.5. Carry on knitting while your child drives the wool like it’s a car.
3. Put the 15 stitches you left back on to your knitting needle. Then repeat the above steps for Ear 2. Knit 2 together so you decrease one stitch and then knit 14 stitches for 7cm. Thread the wool through the 14 stitches and pull through.
4. Sew the seams, turn inside out and you have the egg cosy! Now you need to add the eyes, ribbon and nose.
5. For the ribbon you are supposed to crochet a chain. I can’t crochet so I knitted instead. With a contrasting colour, cast on 30st, knit 2 rows and then cast off. Tie in a bow this around the bunnies ears. For the eyes, embroider 2 crosses in dark grey wool. For the nose I cast on 10 stitches, knitted 2 rows and cast off – then I sewed this on in a circle shape.
And there we have a cute bunny egg cosy. Have a go, it doesn’t take that long to make 🙂