Last week I heard that it was National Cupcake Week – so how could we not make a cake! Luckily the other day we had bought some easy ready mixed products as part of our grocery shop:
- Wright’s Toffee Cake Mix 500g – 80p (on offer, normally £1.70)
- Mini Cornish Fudge Chucks – £1.50
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Icing 400g – £2.15
All we needed to add was vegetable oil and water, plus we already had muffin cases and a muffin tray in the cupboard.
1) After pre-heating the oven to 160°C (we have a fan oven, so that’s 180°C or Gas Mark 5 for normal ovens), I put 200ml water and 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a bowl, and Tyler poured the mix in.
2) We gave it a good stir. The packet says to use an electric whisk, but we used a good old-fashioned wooden spoon.
3) Next we added in half of the packet of cornish fudge pieces.
4) After a stir, the batter was ready. Tyler then put a muffin case into each section of our muffin tray.
5) And then I poured the batter into each case, topping each one with more fudge pieces.
6) I put the trays in the pre-heated oven for 18 minutes.
After 18 minutes, I took them out to cool, and then iced a couple of them with the choc fudge icing and topped with more fudge. Here is how they looked!
And they got the thumbs up from us too – very very sweeeet.
In total, the ready mixed products cost £4.45 for 12 muffins – so that makes it 37p per muffin. Not too bad, and you’re kind of guaranteed that they’ll turn out okay. I know it’s cheating, and we don’t always do this, but that’s my guide to making cakes the easy way – no eggs, no sieving, no mess!