I like trying out new things, visiting new places, even brand new store openings are exciting to me. You know, when things are untouched, shiny and new, and you’re one of the first to see it. So I had a search on the internet for any new attractions and store openings for 2018, as well as what new kids movies are out this year. These are what caught my eye – there’s a lot opening this year!
London and South-East
1) New at Legoland Windsor – TWO NEW MINILANDS! It’s about time there was something new at Miniland. Tyler does love it, but the bricks are looking a bit faded. So it’s great news there there is now a new USA section and an ‘Around the World’ section with Russia, Australia and China. Hopefully with trains – Tyler loves those Amtrak ones!
2) Ride a new Elizabeth line train – ie Crossrail. It’s not complete yet, but they are currently running between Liverpool Street and Shenfield so drivers can practice driving them. The times are random though, so we are going to wait for May 2018 when the Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 5 route will be ready. What a birthday present for Tyler, to ride the new train! Then in December 2018, the Paddington to Abbey Wood line will be open.
3) Go to Chessington Zoo and see the four new Amur tigers, who are arriving from Sweden, in the new tiger attraction this Spring 2018, with the first overhead trails in Europe. You’ll be able to walk right underneath the tigers – eeeeek.
4) New Monorail Ride at Peppa Pig World – and my boy does love monorails! This one is called The Queen’s Flying Coach ride, where you take a tour in individual coaches of the new extended part of Peppa Pig World, starting at the Queen’s castle. There’s also a new Grampy Rabbit’s Sailing Club boat ride on a new water route – ready from May 2018.
5) See the longest lizard in the world and a 2-toed sloth at the new Tropical House at Marwell Zoo, in Winchester, with mammals, reptiles, birds and invertebrates.
6) Visit Coal Drops Yard when it opens in October – a new shopping street in Kings Cross with cobbled streets, a canalside setting and Victorian architecture. I can imagine some great photos could be taken here.
7) The Westfield Shepherd Bush extension completes in March 2018, with a new John Lewis and Primark!
8) Oxford Street will be pedestrianised on the west side (House of Fraser/John Lewis section) by the end of the year – no more having to dodge buses 😀
9) Intu Watford‘s redevelopment completes in Autumn 2018.
10) Five new London Lidl stores are opening in Shepherds Bush, Walthamstow Central, South Ruislip, Hornchurch and Rosehill – you know how enticing that middle aisle is!
11) A new Ikea is opening in Lancing (near Brighton) and a new London one in Greenwich – hopefully by the end of the year if all goes to plan.
12) A brand new Decathlon store is opening at Westgate Retail Park in Slough in March 2018 (next to Dunelm)
13) This is not brand new, as it opened in 2017, but we want to visit the Postal Museum in London and ride the mail train.
14) Slough is getting their own luxury boutique hotel! Okay, it’s actually in the next town of Langley – it’s called The Langley and looks beautiful, looks like it would be an awesome wedding venue, or just somewhere to have photoshoots 😉 Opens June 2018
15) Another new boutique hotel in Berkshire is the Monkey Island Estate in Bray-on-Thames. I just like the name ‘Monkey Island’! 😀
Midlands, West Country & North
16)The biggest UK Primark store is opening in Birmingham in December 2018. It’s an enormous, epic megestore over 160,00 sq ft with 4 floors!
17) There’s going to be a new Children’s Play Village in Warwick – like a Kidzania in the countryside 🙂
18) New Chimpanzee habitat at Twycross Zoo, Warwick
19) Brand new Lego Discovery Centre is opening this summer in Birmingham
20) Magic Alley – new Harry Potter style attraction at Stratford-upon-Avon is opening this April.
21) New Being Brunel Museum visitor experience
22) Cuerdon in Preston is getting a new Ikea this year
23) A new flagship Primark store is opening in Milton Keynes, one of the biggest at 70,000sq ft.
24) An new Artist Residence hotel is opening in Bristol – we stayed in the one in Penzance a few years ago, the rooms are so quirky and cool.
25) Discover the place where Peter Pan began at a new attraction called Moat Brae.
26) The first V&A museum to open outside of London is opening in Dundee in September.
27) Stay in a yacht hotel! The Fingal Royal Yacht Britannia is opening in Edinburgh.
– See a new Kids Movies at the Cinema:
28) The Incredibles 2 – June
29) Mulan Remake – November
30) Wreck-it Ralph 2 – November
31) Mary Poppins Returns – December
32) Disenchanted – release date tbc, but towards end of 2018
2018 seems so much more exciting now, right?! Obviously there are many more new attractions and stores opening this year, as well as grown-up movies at the cinema, but I’ve listed just the things that appealed to me.
Do any of these sound interesting to you? Is there anything new opening around your area this year? I’d love to hear, let me know in the comments!